REV announces 92% efficient AC Direct Drive powertrain for its zero emission FORD Ranger and Escape electric vehicle conversions
VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA, December 06, 2008 /24-7PressRelease/ -- The new technology replaces the gas engine and eliminates the use of the original transmission. The result is that 92% of energy used reaches the wheels, a key requirement for fleet managers who want to eliminate tailpipe emissions and reduce fuel costs. REV's new AC Direct Drive powertrain is available for all new vehicle conversion orders.
On November 26, the province of British Columbia announced a program to support the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles with an initial test of 6 vehicles which will later be increased to 34 vehicles. "By expanding the range of clean energy vehicle technologies available to consumers, we can help achieve our goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 33% by 2020," stated Richard Neufeld, Minister of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources for the province of British Columbia.
"This is a strong commitment towards a sustainable transportation system," states Jay Giraud, Founder and CEO of REV Technologies. "REV is responding with electric vehicle conversion technology that meets the needs of BC fleets and is being deployed now."
In modern gasoline engines only about 25% of energy actually moves the vehicle. The remaining 75% is turned mostly into heat, consumed by the friction or used by other moving parts. Some of the most advanced diesel engines approach 40% energy efficiency. By contrast, with REV's AC Direct Drive powertrain, 92% of energy is used to move to wheels.
The REV electric vehicle conversions begin with a FORD Ranger or Escape with its internal combustion engine, transmission and related components completely removed. High-performance lithium-ion battery packs, a powerful 90 kilowatt electric motor and related charging components are installed. This process reduces the number of moving parts in the power train from over 900 to less than 10, greatly increasing reliability and life.
The REV pure battery Ford conversions offer up to 34kwh of power for an all-electric range of up to 200 km's. The end result is a vehicle that has similar weight, with faster acceleration, increased horsepower and torque, a lower centre of gravity and improved weight distribution. There are no chassis modifications on the vehicle and its original driving characteristics and Transport Canada safety certification remain intact. The vehicles are safe and street legal on all roadways in Canada.
"Fleet Managers in B.C. are very interested in the REV products," states Ken Zutz, Commercial Sales Manager of Metro Ford, one of the largest Ford fleet sales dealers in BC. "With the concerns over fuel costs and the regulatory environment, demand is very high for these trucks. My large fleet customers want to know when they can get their hands on these in significant quantities."
The Company celebrated the grand opening of the REV Showroom and Garage in downtown Vancouver, the first electric vehicle showroom in Canada. Orders are currently being taken for delivery in the second quarter of 2009. To further support electric fleet vehicle deployment, REV is also bringing off-board charging technology to its customers, and will be demonstrating this technology by installing 110v and 220v Chargepoints at the REV Showroom early in 2009. A widespread public charging network and availability of fast charging stations is considered an important way to accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles.
About REV Technologies - REV Technologies Inc. is an international company with headquarters in Vancouver B.C. that converts Ford fleet vehicles into zero emission battery powered highway-capable electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles under its trademarked REV and REV-H brands. By focusing on the private and government fleet markets, REV expects to become the market leader in electric vehicle conversions in Canada and the USA by the end of 2009.