San Bernardino, Calif., December 4, 2012- With recent rain across the southland, forest officials on the San Bernardino National Forest reduce fire restrictions effective Wednesday December 5, 2012.
As a result of lowering the fire restrictions, visitors may have wood and charcoal fires in agency-provided campfire rings at campgrounds, picnic areas and yellow post sites. Recreational target shooting is permitted within designated sites in the Big Bear area and permitted areas on the San Jacinto Ranger District. "We ask the public to always call ahead and check conditions, since conditions do change, whether it's a winter storm or the return of Santa Ana wind conditions," said Forest Supervisor Jody Noiron.
Current fire restriction and guidelines in effect on the San Bernardino National Forest are as follows:
* Wood and charcoal campfires are allowed only in developed campgrounds, picnic areas and Yellow Post campsites within agency-provided fire rings or designated stoves.
* Campfire permits are required for propane and gas stoves and lanterns used outside of developed recreation sites.
* Recreational shooting is limited to designated sites and public shooting ranges operated under special use permit only, except those engaged in legal hunting.
* The 1N09 Recreational Shooting area remains closed.
* An approved spark arrester is required for any internal combustion engine operated on designated forest routes. These include chainsaws, generators, motorcycles, and off-highway vehicles.
* Smoking is limited to enclosed vehicles, developed recreation sites and areas cleared of vegetation, three feet in diameter.
* Fireworks are always prohibited on the San Bernardino National Forest. Tracer, armor piercing, steel core, and Teflon ammunitions are also prohibited, as is discharging a firearm at any exploding target.
For more information, please call your local forest office at:
Big Bear Ranger Station & Discovery Center 909-382-2790
Lytle Creek Ranger Station 909-382-2851
Idyllwild Ranger Station 909-382-2922
Mill Creek Work Center 909-382-2882
Santa Rosa & San Jacinto Mountains National Monument 760-862-9984
For additional information about the San Bernardino National Forest, please visit: http://www.fs.usda.gov/sbnf