SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. - In light of conditions and recent fire activity, San Bernardino National Forest officials are implementing elevated fire restrictions <https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sbnf/home/?cid=fseprd587278> starting Monday, July 16, 2018. The decision is based on national level fire activity, local fire activity and the availability of firefighters for response. Effective July 16, 2018, and until further notice, the following restrictions will be in effect:
* No campfires or barbeques allowed outside certain picnic areas and campsites. Lists of allowable picnic areas and campsites are available at visitor centers and are posted online here <https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd587276.pdf> for the Front Country and San Jacinto ranger districts and here <https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd587277.pdf> for the Mountaintop Ranger District.
* Persons with a valid California Campfire Permit (available free of charge at visitor centers or online at http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/) are not exempt from the prohibitions but are allowed to use portable contained-gas or liquefied-petroleum stoves or lanterns with a fuel shut-off valve
* No smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building or a developed recreation site listed here <https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd587276.pdf> or here <https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd587277.pdf>.
* Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
Residents and visitors are reminded that simple steps can help prevent human-caused fires.
* Prevent vehicle related fires by maintaining proper tire pressure, ensuring adequate tire tread and checking your brakes for overheating. Avoid traveling or parking on brush or grass. Ensure chains are not dragging while towing.
* Make sure your campfire is dead out! Drown it, stir it, feel it. If it's not cool to the touch, it isn't out.
* Motorcycles, ATV's and chainsaws require an approved spark arrestor.
* Fireworks are always prohibited on U.S. Forest Service land.
Help prevent wildfires.....One Less Spark, One Less Wildfire.
OutdoorWire, 4x4Wire, JeepWire, TrailTalk, MUIRNet-News, and 4x4Voice are all trademarks and publications of OutdoorWire, Inc. and MUIRNet Consulting.
Copyright (c) 1999-2019 OutdoorWire, Inc and MUIRNet Consulting - All Rights Reserved, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without express written permission. You may link freely to this site, but no further use is allowed without the express written permission of the owner of this material. All corporate trademarks are the property of their respective owners.